Monday, April 02, 2007

The disappointment of it all!

I’m beginning to think that I’m not cut out for this extras-ing lark. Having missed out on a part in Daniel Craig’s new movie (see previous post), I have now missed out on the part of ‘gamekeeper’ in the TV adaptation of ‘Sense and Sensibility’.

I’m also beginning to suspect that it’s not my ability to take direction at the drop of a hat, my reliability or the fact that I know my left from my right (you’d be surprised how many extras don’t) that gets me the phone call. I might be paranoid about this, but when the agency calls you and the first thing they say is “have you had a haircut? Is it still long?”, you begin to suspect that your dashing good looks might be a secondary consideration (or even lower down the list!).

I got the call on Thursday, got told to pencil in the following Monday and that I would get a call the next day. It sounded great – only a couple of actors, a scene out in a field – in theory I might actually get on screen.

The agencies don’t like you to chase them, so I waited until about three on the Friday afternoon, and having just been offered some proper work for the same day, called in. It was then I was told that the person who’d called me wasn’t in, and to assume that I wasn’t needed. Despite the fact that I had something else to do, the shoot would have started at 7 in the morning meaning a 4.30am start from my house, and would have involved a long day in a field, I was still really disappointed.

Still, the zombie movie starts on Friday. I’d better get some practise in…

No comments: