Tuesday, August 08, 2006

C'est la Vie

Had a phone call from the agency, and they tell me that this thursday's job has been cancelled. They've re-written the scripts, and the 'character' I was scheduled to play is no longer required. I ask if it was something I said, half jokingly (well, you never know!) and the agent tells me no, the're just simplifying a lot of the scenes and cutting some of the parts.

She tells me that there is loads coming up, and she'll try and get me in some of these, I tell her thankyou.

On the same day this all happened, I saw the ad on TV that I auditioned for in London. It's the Orange one, with all the people in the desert building a frame for the blow up animals which represent the packages they are now offering. It's difficult to remember sometimes that unlike 'proper' job interviews, mostly it really is all about the way you look, and if you're not right for it, you're just not right. Being an actor must be really tough on that front. I was watching a programme on one of the freeview channels just recently, about a few acting hopefuls in Hollywood. One had auditioned, along with 249 other guys, for a small part in a movie, and had been told he was down to the last two. This was his big break, his first chance. Imagine being told you'd lost out at the last hurdle. I think I'd rather not know I came that close, but, as my wife pointed out, getting to the last two would spur you on for the next audition more than knowing you were within 250 of getting it. He got it, by the way.

Sometimes, as my friend would say, you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you.

No comments: